The University Ombudsman Office

The University Public Complaints Office is available to all students, staff of the University and members of the public who have a concern or complaint. Article 46 of the constitution of Kenya states that "Consumers have a right to goods and services of reasonable quality. Every person has the right to quality services including those from the Government." Article 47 states that "Every person has the right to administration action that is expeditious, effcient, lawful, reasonable and procedurally fair".

What is a complaint?
A complaint is any type of grievance, problem or concern about the University, or any services offered by the University or its staff.

Who can make a Complaint?
Any student or staff or member of the public may make an informal/formal complaint at any time within 12 months from the date of the event leading to the complaint. A complaint can be made face to face, by e-mail or in writing. A formal complaint must be lodged in writing (letter or e-mail).

Anonymous Complaints
The University does not generally respond to anonymous complaints unless they involve allegations of a serious nature, such as corruption or criminal behaviour. Where appropriate, the delegated University Officer may decide that an investigation is warranted.

Location and Contacts
Opposite the main library building, new Administration Block, Ground Floor, Room ABA 006A. The office is headed by University Ombudsman, the Ombudsman may refer formal complaints to Independent Complaints (ICC) or Ombudsman is not a member of ICC because of neutrality and impartiality reasons.

Any student or staff member or any stakeholder who visits any office and is not served courteouslly and to satisfaction by a responsible University Officer within the timelines indicated in the service charter is entitled to make a formal complaint to the office and/or the Commission for Administrative justice via

The University Ombudsman (UO) is the appointed member of staff responsible for the administration of complaints within the University. All formal complaints made must be lodged with the Ombudsman who will determine who the complaint is to be referred for resolution.

The UO does not decide complaints S/he is responsible for recording and tracking formal complaints on a confidential and securely stored University file or central database. The Ombudsman is also a source of advice available for all parties involved in an investigation of a complaint and can be contacted at any stage during the complaints process for advice or assistance.

The UO office adheres to the Commision on Admnistration Justice (CAJ) and International Ombudsman Association (IOA) code of ethics ( Independence, Neutrality, Impartiality, Confidentiality) and standards of practice. The UO reports statistical and non identfying information on UO Office activity to CAJ, the DVC (A&F) on quarterly and yearly basis. UO ensures that complaints are used to identify service improvements and that these improvements are recommended to University Management for possible implementation, and possibly learning fed back to the wider organisation as appropriate

The Ombudsman shall refer complaints that require an investigation to Independent Complaints Committee (ICC) for resolution. A complaint will be moved to the investigation stage when:

  1. i) Frontline resolution was attempted, but the complainant remains dissatisfied. This maybe after the case has been closed following front line resolution stage.
  2. The complainant refuses to recognize or engage with the front line resolution process and is insistent that the issue be addressed by a more senior officer.
  3. The Issues raised are complex and will require detailed investigation
  4. The complaint relates to issues that have been identified by the University as high risk or high profile

Types of Complaints Handled

  • Misuse of Office,
  • Unethical conduct
  • Breach of intergrity,
  • Maladmnistration
  • Service Delay,
  • Injustice,
  • Inattention
  • Incompetence,
  • Misbehaviou,
  • Ineffeciency,
  • Missing Marks

Connect with us

P. O. BOX 190-50100, Kakamega

  • dummy+254 (0) 57 2505222/3,

  • dummy 


Report Corruption